Where to begin with this interesting topic? Antique glassware can be very beautiful. However, people who have it, or want to get it, are generally not sure how and when to properly use different wine glasses. Some do not think they should, as most are breakable, oddly shaped, impractically, and small.
Despite this, those who enjoy sipping from these special glasses do it because they feel a connection to history and tradition. In this article, we will go over some of the best wine glasses that exist, and see what they are all about.
1. The Coupe
This wide, shallow, and short stemware has been used for centuries in France for swilling champagne. The nobles of the country thought that the bubbles are aggressive and gauche.
Therefore, they used the coupe that has a shallow bowl. According to a rumor, the glass was inspired by the bosom, Marie Antoinette. Imagine that. During the 20th century, the flute replaced the coupe. If you want a European touch in your home, try these for your next night with friends.
2. The Rummer
This glass was quite popular in Germany and the Netherlands in the past centuries. The green-tinted rummer is a large-mouthed heavy drinking glasses. It has fat, short, and studded prunts, which are additional pieces of glass, fused to the stem for stronger grip and more decoration.
If you own authentic rummers, check them out because the original glass tends to be very valuable. They can last generations and have been passed down often. In the Rhineland, the people would use them for slosh-free toasting, which means you must fill them up plenty with a good Riesling, and raise it high for an important toast.
3. The Port
This small, petite beauty of glass is traditionally around five inches tall, and two inches across. Depending on where you live or where you find yourself, they might also have a flared rim. There are not many things that feel more elegant and special than enjoying a sip of port next to the fire, pairing it with dark chocolate.
4. The Sherry
This is another pretty little stemware piece and a close cousin to the port. However, it is somewhat larger. With the start of the 20th century, it was customary to enjoy a glass of cream sherry right after your dinner. People found this pleasure deeply satisfying and pleasant. Try it if you find a glass like this somewhere.
5. The Goblet
This is one of the most popular glass types, and its history can be traced as far as the ancient times. The short and beefy stem goblet is currently mostly used for water, but in the past, they were used for all sorts of drinks. Some people believe anything larger than three ounces is practically a goblet. It feels the best when used for either wine or water.
6. The Flute
Right now these are used for champagne, but prior to the 20th century, this glass was shorter stemmed and heftier, and people drank ale from it. Vintage flutes made specifically for ale are often cylindrical in shape.
7. The Stemmed Dram or Cordial
This is the smallest stemware, and it can actually come in any shape. Most often, however, they are of the cylindrical or conical profile, with a short stem. They usually hold 1.5 ounces and are used exclusively for liqueurs, gin, and whiskey.
8. The Wine Glass
The antique wine glasses are almost always made from decorative crystal. Also, have small bowls and long and elegant stems. These vary from tulip-shaped, rounded, and cylindrical, but are almost always petite and can hold about 3 ounces. Until Riedel appeared during the ‘60s, there was much less distinction regarding the varieties of wine and the right vessel for it.
The traditional etiquette and logistics taught that wine was best served alongside the meal while sitting at an arranged table. If you find yourself at a standing cocktail hour, highball, tumblers, or Collins glasses are the right call.
9. Cocktail Glassware
Cocktails were not nearly as popular before the 20th century. Therefore, since they are still becoming more and more prominent, the usual etiquette and tradition when it comes to these drinks and their glassware is still taking shape.
Some of the modern craft mixers cut their ties with Martini glass and chose the coupe as their glassware of choice. Still, you can probably find a different glass in each bar, for each different cocktail. Experimenting with different shapes and sizes of vintage glassware for the countless cocktail combos can be fun.
Mind that your personal preferences regarding practicality, experiences of the senses, and charm can be the best option for a cocktail you prepare at home.
Don’t miss these fantastic glasses:
- Vintage design and elegant color make them unique for any event any occasions
- Real solid glass color. The color will not peel off the glass or fade after washes and uses
- High quality glass make them dishwasher safe and healthy for durable daily use
- All-purpose glass works equally well with wine Whiskey ,iced tea, lemonade or any beverage
- Lead ? Free Glass Material , healthy and safety. 10 OZ , Set of 3
- This beautiful goblet would make a great addition to a formal dinner, bar or even everyday celebrations.
- Give the final touch of pure elegance at your next special celebration with these dazzling crystal wine glasses.
- All-purpose glass works equally well with iced tea, lemonade or any beverage. Product Dimension - 3.50L X 3.10W X 6.70H
- Great wedding, housewarming or host gift.
- Capacity: 12oz
- ☑ VINTAGE STYLE GLASS GOBLET - Artistic lines outline complex linear embossed patterns, European vintage style to add sophistication for the wine, just like a wonderful artwork, unique in any occasions.
- ☑ CREATING ROMANCE - Fired in high temperature, high clear colored lead-free glass to reflect the glorious and sparkle luster, adding more elegance to the table and make you have a romantic Valentine's Day, wedding or party.
- ☑ FOR ANY DRINKS - Classic and elegant outlook, vivid color and clear, this colored glass goblet makes drinking more enjoyable, perfect for any drinks like red wine, cocktail, juice, beer, whiskey, iced-water, etc..
- ☑ SAFE MATERIAL - Lead-free glass ensures the safety and offers the max health, non-toxic, odor free. More features, comfortable grip, non-slip base to ensure the stability, dishwasher safe, easy to care and clean.
- ☑ NO RISK PURCHASE - Quick response and friendly customer service, 30 days money back, feel free to contact us if there is any issue with our glass goblet and we’ll solve your problems within 24h.
- Set of 6 glasses
- Made of lead free crystal
- Cut design from the Melodia Collection by RCR Crystal in Italy. Mix and match with other glasses from the Melodia Collection
- Hand wash or use crystal setting on your dishwasher
- Holds 7.5-Ounce of your favorite beverages
- Set of 2 Premium Wine Glasses Goblets
- Old World Vintage Design - Made in Italy
- 24K Gold Hand Decorated Luxury Crystal
- 10 oz - 6.5"h x 4.25"W
- What a way to bring in the New year!